I am running out of reading material. Please comment if you have any more suggestions for ED books! xxx



Tuesday 8 March 2011

Morphing Disorders

I have not updated for a while, I am struggling to read right now due to lack of concentration. I have set myself the challenge of working through a self-help book, even though I have not had much success with these in the past. Therefore it is proving difficult to keep motivated. The next ED book I plan to read is 'Fasting Girls: The History of Anorexia Nervosa.' But on a different note, here are some recent thoughts:

There is a theory that Anorexia and Bulimia are ‘two sides of the same coin.’ I think this has a lot of truth in it, but I would also add BED in there as well. There are so many people who have gone from one disorder to another, or picked up symptoms from all three and developed an atypical ED or EDNOS. I think it is wrong for professionals to see me as being recovered from anorexia, and that I developed Bulimia as a separate entity. I have talked to many others who have never lost their anorexic mindset even though their behaviours may suggest otherwise. I am now addicted to binge eating because as long as I don’t let it go, it guarantees that the anorexia cannot take over my body again. However, no amount of binge eating can drive the anorexia out of my mind. When professionals refuse to accept that my disorders have layered up rather than replaced each other, they are in danger of encouraging my anorexic thoughts. It is a balancing act; they need to treat the anorexia and bulimia/BED simultaneously until I finally meet balance. When I was a restricting anorexic I thought that Bulimia was the opposite. Now I know that they are the same monster which changes tactics in order to fool.

Happy Pancake day! Even though I don't celebrate this due to the food content ;)

xxx

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe I just stumbled upon this. I'm going through a similar situation, taking time off of college to try and get a handle on layers of eating disorders because I don't want to let it take over my entire life. One book I would recommend that isn't in the direct scheme of ED books is The Beauty Myth by Naomi Wolf. I read it recently and it covers a lot of the pressures that society puts on women from the time that we're infants. I honestly expected it to be a lot of obvious jargon, but there was a lot I had never thought about and just consciously being aware of all of the outside influences to the disease can be helpful. Great blog, Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try pan cake.Though the food content is not so much suitable for dieting but sometimes you need to go beyond the wall just for FUN!Nice concept for blogging.
    If you have time please also visit mine
    http://teleinfobd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaitlyn - I'm sorry I am so late replying, so you probably won't see this, but yeah... I actually have The Beauty Myth on my book shelf which my friend leant me but I have not yet had the motivation to read; I will check it out :) Thankyou for reading and good luck to you with everything too! I really hope you got back to College and will one day reach freedom xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Himadri - Thanks. Although I don't avoid pancakes because they are not a diet food, after-all I can get through several multi packs of chocolate and more, no problem, and I've never really eaten 'diet' foods on purpose. It is more that pancake day, Easter, Christmas, is about enjoying the food, and I can't stand enjoying it:/ So what I mean is I avoid celebrations that have food content due to the meaning of eating the food, rather than the food itself, if that makes any sense... lol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is hoover, my 18 year old daughter, Tricia was diagnosed of herpes 3 years ago. ever since then,we have been going from one hospital to the other. We tried all sorts of pills but all efforts to get rid of the virus was futile.
    The blisters kept on reappearing after some months. My daughter was making use of Acyclovir tablets 200mg. 2 tablets every 6hours and fusitin cream 15grams. and H5 POT. Permanganate with water to be applied 2x a day but all still show no result. So I was on the internet some months back, to sought for any other means of saving my only child. just then, i came across a comment on dr imoloa herbal treatment and decided to give it a try. i contacted the him and he prepared some herbs and sent it to me together with guidelines on how to use the herbs through DHL courier service. my daughter used it as directed dr imoloa and in less than 14days, my daughter regained her health.. You should contact Dr imoloa today directly on his email address for any kind of health challenge; lupus disease, mouth ulcer, mouth cancer, fever, hepatitis A.B.C., diarrhoea, HIV/AIDS, Huntington's Disease, back acne, Chronic renal failure, Chronic Pain, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, fungal nail disease, Lyme Disease, Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis , Multiple Sclerosis, Muscular Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's Disease, parkison disease, vaginal cancer, epilepsy, Anxiety Disorders, Autoimmune Disease, Back Pain, Back Sprain, Bipolar Disorder, Brain Tumour, Malignant, Bruxism, Bulimia disease, Cervical Disk Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Hypertension, Diabetes, asthma, Inflammatory autoimmune-mediated arthritis. chronic kidney disease, inflammatory joint disease, impotence, feta alcohol spectrum, Dysthymic Disorder, Eczema, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, constipation. and many more; contact him on email- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com./ also on whatssap-+2347081986098.





    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Durham, County Durham, United Kingdom
(November 2010) > I am taking a year (or two) out of university to recover from an eating disorder; originally diagnosed as restricting anorexia 7 years ago, but has more recently morphed into BN non-purgeing type/ BED/ COE/ EDNOS / whatever you want to call it. I thought I would write a blog to give me a kind of project to work on, mainly giving an insight into the Eating Disorders books that I have read and any interesting articles/videos I find. However, there may be some updates on my life and thoughts once in a while. My quest is to understand these disorders, although I know the best I can do is to keep on researching xxx Update (2012): I have now returned to uni.

Followers

Pictures (not mine)

Tattoo one taken from:
http://paulhartrick.com/fairy-tattoos